Steps to Take when Hit by an Uninsured Motorist

Kansas has strict requirements when it comes to minimum auto insurance for every driver in the state. Insurance policies must include a minimum amount of liability coverage for injuries and property damage caused by car crashes. Some people allow their car insurance to lapse and fail to purchase new policies. If you are hit by an uninsured driver, there are solutions offered by Kansas law.

No-Fault Coverage in Kansas

Kansas requires drivers to carry no-fault insurance, which is called personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This policy of yours if you are driving, (or if a passenger, the owner of the car in which you are riding) should cover losses no matter who was at fault for the accident.

However, PIP coverage is limited, and most policies only include the following:

Many people harmed in a car crash see larger losses when their PIP coverage has run out.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Kansas auto policies must by state law have $25,000/$50,000 coverage known as uninsured motorist coverage, which does exactly what it sounds – provides coverage if an uninsured motorist hits you. Once your losses exceed your PIP coverage, you can make a claim with this policy.

Seeking Legal Assistance after an Accident

When you are hit by an uninsured driver, you will be filing claims with your own insurance company. Many people think that this means there is no reason to consult with an attorney. But your company now is adverse to you. They will try to limit the settlements paid on claims even to their own insured. That is their job. Your own company may offer a settlement offer that is much less than you deserve.

An injury lawyer can review your settlement offer and negotiate with your company for the benefits you truly deserve. We can calculate your losses, evaluate coverages available and present proof to the insurer. When does PIP pay and when does health insurance? We will get you the answer. We can bring a lawsuit against your company if they are not paying your claim. Your premiums will not go up with this kind of claim as it is not based on your fault

Contact a Salina Car Accident Attorney for Assistance

At Neustrom & Associates, we handle all types of car accident cases- auto, truck, motorcycle and pedestrian. If you need to file a PIP claim, uninsured motorist claim, or a claim against another driver’s policy, we can help with the process from start to finish. You do not have to suffer financially because another driver did not have insurance. Call 785-825-1505 or contact us online for your free consultation.

FYI We also can evaluate underinsured claims, if your coverage is more than the other driver.