Types of Car and Truck Accidents
Knowing the most common types of vehicle accidents and how they often occur can help you in seeking damages for your injuries.
Car and truck accidents are complex events, which can often be attributed to several causes. For injured victims, the type of motor vehicle accident you are involved in often provides clues to whom can be held liable for the damages you suffer in a claim.
The Most Common Types of Car Accidents in Kansas
According to crash reports from the Kansas Department of Transportation (KSDOT), more than 60,000 car accidents occur throughout the state each year, resulting in nearly 20,000 injuries to drivers and passengers and causing over 350 deaths. Among the most common types of collisions include:
- Rear end accidents: The most common types of car accident in Kansas, these often occur in heavy traffic conditions as the result of speeding or aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating and failure to yield.
- Side angle accidents: As the second more common type of collision, these crashes often occur in intersections and at entrances and exits, they are often the result of failure to obey traffic signs and signals.
- Side overtaking accidents: Common on both highways and on local road, these happen when drivers engage in improper passing or when swerving in and out of lanes.
- Head-on accidents: While these are the least common type of car accident, they are among the most potentially deadly. Head-on collisions often occur as the result of distracted driving and driving under the influence.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
In addition to the damages and injuries caused by car accidents, KSDOT reports that more than 30,000 truck accidents occur throughout the state each year. Considering the massive size and bulk of tractor trailers, semi trucks, and other big rigs, it is often motor vehicle drivers who suffer the most serious injuries in these crashes.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), dangerous driving behaviors, poor truck maintenance, and improper trucking company practices are often to blame for these crashes. Among the most common types of truck collisions include:
- Rollover accidents: These occur when drivers take turns and bends in the road at too high of speeds, or due to poorly secured loads and improper loading practices, which causes an imbalance.
- Jackknife accidents: This is when a truck skids out of control, causing the cab and trailer to be at a 90 degree angle. Again, this is often the result of speeding or going too fast for conditions, as well as poor tire maintenance.
- Side swipe accidents: These happen when drivers pass other vehicles or fail to account for blind spots when attempting to switch lanes.
- Rear end collisions: These can be the result of aggressive driving or brake failure.
Injured in a Car or Truck Accident? Neustrom & Associates are Here to Help
When car or truck accidents leave you with serious injuries, the attorneys of Neustrom & Associates are here to help you get the compensation you need to recover. Contact our Salina motor vehicle accident attorneys and request a consultation today.